Re: HIG says "Page Setup" not "Page Setup..."

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:48:01AM +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:

> Il giorno lun, 04/02/2008 alle 21.55 +0100, Olav Vitters ha scritto:
> > On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 06:09:00PM +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> > > I've just opened bugs against eog, evince, evolution and gedit to remove
> > > the trailing ellipsis from File->Page Setup menu entry. Bugs are 514352,
> > > 524354, 514355, 514356.
> >
> > Maybe I am crazy[1].. but ehr.. why not have a *very short* discussion
> > between HIG people and then commit the changes? Would maintainers really
> > object? Seems such a waste.. opening bugs, etc.. when it is just about
> > consistency and following the HIG.
>
> Sorry to have started this mess :-)

Why apologize to me? I don't mind. Plus I've ignored most of the thread.

> But:
>       * isn't opening bugs the standard way to propose a change/fix?
>       * _by now_ follow the HIG means commit proposed changes

Bugs don't have to be opened for l10n / build breakage patches (but you
report when you can't fix or if you are unsure of your fix).

HIG is across GNOME. I don't care whatever is done, if it is small
(three dots or not), all modules should be consistent. So whenever
a trusted someone thinks it is ok yes/no, I'd like if maintainers
would/could allow people to just commit the change.

Of course, if you want to open bugs, feel free. What I am after is
that certain people would be trusted enough to be able to just commit,
removing a requirement to open a bug report.

I looked at the commits within KDE. There you see e.g. art people
committing directly into modules (without bug reports, etc). Other
people also made certain changes that weren't specific to that module.
e.g. for gnome-blog some bugreport was opened to add a Tango module. IMO
that could've been committed to the repos directly. Same for any HIG
fixes, changing the build to enable LINGUAS. It won't always be perfect,
but allows for faster/easier development.

--
Regards,
Olav