Re: Tomboy replacement

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Mark Fink <mpfink gmail com> wrote:
>  > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Curtis Hovey <sinzui is verizon net> wrote:
>  >  > On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 20:41 -0500, Mark Fink wrote:
>  >  > > I've just started a replacement for Tomboy. I think it (or another
>  >  > > notes program if there already is one) should replace Tomboy ASAP in
>  >  > > the GNOME desktop because Tomboy is poisoning GNOME distributions like
>  >  > > Red Hat and Ubuntu with it's Microsoft patented MONO dependency crap
>  >  > > as you can read about on
>  >  > > http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/15/mono-contamination-in-ubuntu/
>
>  Hilarious. We can't also let Knuth poison GNOME with his algorithms
>  and datatypes. I guess it's the same for Ritchie or Kernighan with
>  their C.

C is fine, don't try to twist my words.

>  >  > > I've never written a program before so I also need some help. Also I
>  >  > > need a place to put it on the web.
>
>  It's not the proper place to ask for a free training in software engineering.
>

>  >  > > I've already gotten it so you can type stuff in a text field, so it
>  >  > > already almost has all the functionality you need in a note taking
>  >  > > program.
>
>  Yes, that requires about... 5 lines in Python.

Why do you insist on belittling me? I'm doing more to protect your
software freedoms than anyone else here who are all speaking about how
MONO is fine. NO IT'S NOT!!

>  >  > If you don't want to run Tomboy, just add sticky notes to your panel--it
>  >  > predates Tomboy. Tomboy is popular because it rocks, not because it is
>  >  > Mono-based, or because distro chose to make it the default app over
>  >  > sticky notes (I'm not certain it is a default app in Ubuntu or Fedora).
>  >  > What you are setting out to do is create an extensible wiki-like gui
>  >  > editor. Good luck.
>  >  Then sticky notes needs to replace Tomboy as the official GNOME notes
>  >  program because it is stupid to allow MONO into GNOME. MONO programs
>  >  CANNOT be allowed to be in GNOME! This only helps M$ destroy Linux!
>  >  Don't you see!? You are just helping Microvell poison Linux so that
>  >  they can control it and/or attack it with patents. Anyone who doesn't
>  >  see this is a retard.
>
>  Call me a retard then. Linux is a kernel. GNOME is not Linux. dotNet
>  is a common runtime and compiler for a set of languages. Mono is a
>  reimplementation of dotNet.

Exactly why no one should use it! It infringes on M$ patents all over the place!

Uh... ? M$ MADE C#. They didn't made python or ruby!@

>  They all run on both Mono and dotNet.

So what? You are just trying to come up with excuses to use MONO. Why?
Is it because you sold out to M$ and Novell!? I bet so.

> You sir fail to understand both
>  technology and patents.

No, you do. How can you be so blind!? I just don't get you people.

Here's some other good insight from Roy Schestowitz:

-------------
#

Roy Schestowitz said,

February 21, 2008 at 11:43 pm

How long before they decide to stick Glipper in the core in order to
compete with Klipper, I wonder…

The issue here is a chicken-and-egg one. Many people use Tomboy, so a
lot of development rigor will go into Tomboy and not into a lesser
known project that is used by fewer people. That's why the leadership
of GNOME needs to take action and reroute focus away from development
in C#.

When Stallman raised the issue in the mailing list, I think it was
Shaw who said that he would ask Novell to do this, or at least be
aware of the issue. A month ot two go by and we find out about dbus
pulling a Mono. Where will this end? Mono expands rather than be
sidelined. In fact, it's in Novell interest to spread the Mono — so to
speak — for only Novell has the 'protection' for its use. One might
say that Novell contaminates GNOME to promote its own selfish agenda.
Microsoft watches over Novell's shoulder gleefully (mind yesterday's
'big announcement', aka "the extend phase").
#

Roy Schestowitz said,

February 21, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Links about the announcement, for future reference and 'historical record':

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/21/analysis-of-a-decoy/
http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/21/taxoperability-strategy/

>  --
>  Patryk Zawadzki
>  PLD Linux Distribution

Thanks for your sig, now I know another Linux distro to stay clear from.

M$ and Novell are taking away our freedoms through GNOME, this has got to stop!

Mark Fink