Re: Low memory hacks

2008/2/29, Brian Nitz <Brian Nitz sun com>:
>  For example, launching eog in the "C" locale (Solaris Nevada build 82,
>  GNOME 2.20.2)  opens font files for many other locales.  These may be
>  mapped into physical memory at times, regardless of your locale. :
>
>   4302 eog           18
>  /usr/openwin/lib/locale/zh/X11/fonts/TrueType//fonts.cache-1

I might be very uninformed about this, but for what it's worth, this
is the first time I've ever heard of the concept of locale specific
font files. My system doesn't have them.

Also those are actually font information caches, and omitting those
would mean that you'd scan each configured dir every time someone
searches for a font... But to emphasis, this is an configuration
issue, someone has intentionally added every locale specific font
directory to (presumably the global) fontconfig's scan list. I suspect
that there isn't really any other way to list those though, apart from
autogenerating a user-specific configuration based on the locale for
example at login (which would be a bit unfriendly if the user wants to
use a customized configuration but...).

Personally I don't think there is much point in limiting the fonts
available to applications (I do want to see for example russian text
presented with a cyrillic font regardless of my own locale, instead of
unicode "glyph not found" blocks) in contrast to only having a smaller
set of favourite fonts installed, but I suppose for example artists
would disagree with that.

I wonder if fontconfig has flexible enough configuration system to
allow per-application configuration (in the spirit of gtkrc for
example)...

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi