Re: External Deps: Minimal Python dependency

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 16:46 +0200, Sebastian Pölsterl wrote:
> Vincent Untz schrieb:
> > Le mardi 22 juillet 2008, à 17:56 +0200, Sebastian Pölsterl a écrit :
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> As mentioned in [1] sqlite is a blessed external dependency now. I want
> >> to use sqlite for Deskbar-Applet, too. Because, Python 2.5 has a
> >> built-in sqlite module I suggest increasing the minimal version to 2.5
> >> from currently 2.4.3 . Of course, Python 2.5 has more benefits [2].
> >>
> >> [1]:
> >> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-July/msg00090.html
> >> [2]: http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/whatsnew25.html
> >
> > (heh, I should read ddl before replying to mails)
> >
> > So, I took a quick look at the second link. That's all cool, but can we
> > get an overview of what is really useful in there for us?
> >
> > Vincent
> >
> * Various speed improvements regarding re module, sets, unicode
> operations (substring, split, en-/decode) and handling exceptions [1].
> * New ElementTree package for processing XML. It's easy to understand
> and fast.
> * New hashlib package which supports previously unsupported SHA-224,
> SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512.
> * New ctypes package which lets you load libraries and calling functions
> in them.
> * The 'with' statement. Which makes it very easy to use locks or
> read/write a file, because it makes sure everything is cleaned up
> correctly (e.g. when an error appeared).

 * Genuine try-except-else-finally blocks, no need for nesting an
   operations in multiple try-except and try-finally blocks
 * Generators can be used in coroutines because the caller can use
   send(<param>) instead of next.
 * conditional assignment expressions:
   id = val if value is not None else ''

--