Re: maintainer scripts

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 14:11 -0400, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> Ysgrifennodd daniel g. siegel:
> > thanks! it was exactly that what i needed. i modified it a bit, mostly
> > to have the changelog and news style of older release notes of cheese.
>
> Metacity also has a release script, which I'd also like to merge:
>
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/metacity/trunk/tools/release-wrangler.py?revision=3625&view=markup
>
> Brad Fitzpatrick produced a grand unified release script called ShipIt
> once; I took a look at merging it with that.  It's written in Perl,
> which is a shame because most GNOME scripts are written in Python or
> shellscript.  However, it did have one really important and useful
> feature, which was that any project could contain a file which overrode
> one or more steps of the standard procedure.  That way, you didn't have
> to write a new release script every time, or fork a standard one, but
> you could modify it in just the way you needed.
>
> I didn't end up using ShipIt in the end, because there were some
> finer-grained modifications needed than it seemed worth making and
> keeping the same system.  The design is rather lovely, though, and I
> believe it would be worthwhile to adopt in any generalised maintainer
> script.
>
> > btw: we have another cool script, which basically is a wrapper around
> > svn commit, which updates the ChangeLog file with the commit message
> > before actually commiting.
> >
> > you can find it here: http://home.cs.tum.edu/~siegel/files/cicl
>
> Funnily enough, Metacity also has such a script :)

I have transitioned to maintaining Conduit completely out of
bzr-playground.gnome.org.

In this workflow I use MOAP. Amongst other things, It prepares changelog
entries, and makes commits. I used to use prepare-Changelog.pl and cicl,
but it didnt support bzr, etc. I find MOAP much better.

Workflow:

make changes
moap cl prep #makes changelog entry
moap cl ci   #commits with commit message = changelog entry
bzr push svn+http....

John