Re: Proposal: enable accessibility by default for GNOME

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:
> And login times? Impacted, not impacted? Application performance?
> (Granted this last one is probably hard to get at, but it still seems
> important to measure- we are, after all, considering something here
> that could impact every single application.)
>
> Tangentially, I'm disappointed with the 'a user can spend 10 seconds
> to just turn it off' school of thought- that is not how we are
> supposed to do things around here. We *fix* problems instead of
> requiring users to somehow magically find the right set of options to
> fix it for themselves. We know it'll take far longer than 10 seconds
> to discover how to turn it off and stop paying the price. In fact, we
> know most users will never discover how to do it. They'll just assume
> GNOME is slow, if this does in fact slow GNOME down. So to say
> 'they'll just spend 10 seconds to turn it off' is not a GNOME-y way of
> thinking at all.

By the way, read this as opposition to turning it on by default. But
I'd rather see the problems fixed and it eliminated as a run-time
option altogether than for us to say 'we're shipping a broken user
experience, but hey, the users have an option to unbreak it.'

Luis