Re: Proposal: enable accessibility by default for GNOME

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Mark Doffman
<mark doffman codethink co uk> wrote:
> Hi Everyone, Luis,
>
> Luis Villa wrote:
>>
>> And login times? Impacted, not impacted? Application performance?
>> (Granted this last one is probably hard to get at, but it still seems
>> important to measure- we are, after all, considering something here
>> that could impact every single application.)
>>
>> Tangentially, I'm disappointed with the 'a user can spend 10 seconds
>> to just turn it off' school of thought- that is not how we are
>> supposed to do things around here. We *fix* problems instead of
>> requiring users to somehow magically find the right set of options to
>> fix it for themselves. We know it'll take far longer than 10 seconds
>> to discover how to turn it off and stop paying the price. In fact, we
>> know most users will never discover how to do it. They'll just assume
>> GNOME is slow, if this does in fact slow GNOME down. So to say
>> 'they'll just spend 10 seconds to turn it off' is not a GNOME-y way of
>> thinking at all.
>
> I apologize for the '10 second' comment, especially as it might have taken
> away from my point. GNOME should be about fixing things, and as Willie
> pointed out, its currently broken for accessibility users.

I agree that this is broken for a11y users, and that it is important
that we do the right thing for those users. But the right solution
then is to fix it for everyone, not to accept breakage for the other
99% of users.

> I believe that there is very little detrimental effect for the majority of
> users to turning accessibility on by default.

I'd love to see hard performance numbers before we reach that
conclusion. (I really don't care about memory numbers. Geeks look at
top; my fiancee just sits and taps her fingers waiting for GNOME to
log in.)

Luis