Re: Proposal: enable accessibility by default for GNOME

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 11:33 -0700, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Mark Doffman
> <mark doffman codethink co uk> wrote:
> > I believe that there is very little detrimental effect for the majority of
> > users to turning accessibility on by default.
>
> I'd love to see hard performance numbers before we reach that
> conclusion. (I really don't care about memory numbers. Geeks look at
> top; my fiancee just sits and taps her fingers waiting for GNOME to
> log in.)

Me too. My first reaction to the thread was 'but accessibility slows
things down!' - I've had at least one time in the past where I
experimented with turning on the accessibility features and then days
later realised I'd left them turned on after wondering my desktop was
feeling perceivably slower.

I also think it would be great if we could turn on accessibility by
default, but not if it's an option that people immediately want to turn
off.

J.
--
Jan Schmidt <thaytan noraisin net>