Re: TARBALLS DUE: GNOME 2.23.3 Development Release

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 11:56 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le samedi 31 mai 2008, à 21:04 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
> > On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 18:07 +0300, Lucas Rocha wrote:
> >
> > > Once more, a late reminder. This is so cool, isn't it?
> >
> > Actually it's not.  Ideally I like to see the reminder go out Wednesday
> > before, so I can schedule some devel hacking before the deadline.
>
> Well, the reminder is not to get late development done -- it's to have
> tarballs done. The reason it's sent on Friday is, I believe, to give a
> chance to people who might be away on the week-end to plan their work on
> Monday.

I know, but many times it's either:

  1) I need to finish some features I started to get them in
release-ready status, even for devel releases that are supposed to be
snapshots

  2) Nothing has been done on the module since last devel release.  This
sounds bad, but happens with many modules that are mostly in maintenance
mode.  Pango is a great example of this.  There are months that Pango
hacking takes a large part of my time, and there are other months when
other projects are (like right now).  Given that some changes need to be
done early in the release cycle, I can push myself to get something done
for each devel release.

> If you need a reminder to get development done before releases, there's
> the ical file. But I can set up a cron job for you if you want something
> more annoying that can help you improve your productivity ;-)

Ok, I'll try to set up evo to send notifications and I'll see how far
that goes.  But then where's the ice cream in that?

> Vincent

Cheers,
--
behdad