Re: Quotation marks: Using =?UTF-8?B?4oCc4oCd?= instead of ""

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 01:43:05 +0100
"Alexander Jones" <alex weej com> wrote:

> Alan, you seem to be missing the point.

No I'm afraid you are the one who is missing the point here:

> The only places where I am suggesting replacing "" with "" are in existing
> gettext calls, which *are* UTF-8 whether they need to be or not, and are
> always used with UTF-8 string functions.

The output of a locale C or untranslated string from _("") is the input.
The output in those locales must be ASCII for some things. The input must
therefore be ASCII.

> The issue is whether the compiler will bork when it sees bytes with
> MSB set. So far nobody has been able to say with any conviction
> whether it will.

The C standard answers this. Previous mails answer this. You apparently
don't want to hear the answer.

Alan