=?WINDOWS-1252?Q?Re:_Quotation_marks:_Using_=93=94_instead_of_""?=

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:42:24 +0100
> "Iain *" <iaingnome gmail com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:
>>
>> > Thats because you have your fingers in your ears and don't want to
>> > listen. Consider a career in politics instead.
>>
>> Well, no, you have brought up irrelevant points (to the question at
>> hand) and straw manned any rebuttal of them.
>
> Oh dear.

Ok Alan, explain the problems that this will cause

gtk_label_new (_("this is a string with "" in it"));

Now explain how those problems are not caused by this

gtk_label_new (_("this is a string with \"\" in it"));

in the en_GB locale where gettext returns "this is a string with "" in it"

This is what we are talking about.

Shaun said that Yelp has been doing this for a while and I dont think
any bugs have ever been found with it
I know that my various pieces of software have been doing things like
this and I've never had anyone complaining.
Like I said before, your concerns are certainly very valid in a specific domain
But we aren't talking about that domain and so I don't think they are relevant.

iain