=?UTF-8?Q?Re:_Quotation_marks:_Using_=E2=80=9C=E2=80=9D_instead_of_""?=

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Alexander Jones <alex weej com> wrote:
> 2008/6/14 Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk>:
>> Note; I am all for the US locale using pretty quotes. I'm just strongly
>> opposed to doing it against the specifications and praying it works out.
>> Particularly when its probably a perl one liner to generate en_US.utf-8
>> locale files.
> Wrong. "Pretty quotes" cannot be distinguished from straight quotes
> without language context. Consider some code that, e.g., generates XML
> output and requires straight quotes. Such a script would break that.
> (We see it already with Wordpress butchering people's pasted code.)

Not that it has anything to do with GNOME but putting structural
markup (XML code) into translatable strings should seriously be
considered a bug. One mistranslation could easily make the application
unusable.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution