Re: Quotation marks: Using =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9C=E2=80=9D?= instead of ""

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 01:24 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Alexander Jones <alex weej com> wrote:
> > 2008/6/14 Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk>:
> >> Note; I am all for the US locale using pretty quotes. I'm just strongly
> >> opposed to doing it against the specifications and praying it works out.
> >> Particularly when its probably a perl one liner to generate en_US.utf-8
> >> locale files.
> > Wrong. "Pretty quotes" cannot be distinguished from straight quotes
> > without language context. Consider some code that, e.g., generates XML
> > output and requires straight quotes. Such a script would break that.
> > (We see it already with Wordpress butchering people's pasted code.)
>
> Not that it has anything to do with GNOME but putting structural
> markup (XML code) into translatable strings should seriously be
> considered a bug. One mistranslation could easily make the application
> unusable.

We make extensive use of XML markup in the strings in
gnome-doc-utils.  While I agree this is less than ideal,
it's currently the only way we can do the things we do.

If an en_US locale automatically changed all the quotes,
gnome-doc-utils would break pretty badly.

--
Shaun