Re: Composition [was Re: gnome-session proposal]

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Karl Lattimer <karl qdh org uk> wrote:

> Have you looked at xcompmgr? it might be a good starting point. I have
> somewhere a hacked up version of xcompmgr which has some extra features.
> Let me know if you'd like it.

Good idea, wish I'd thought of that first...

/*
 * Copyright (C) 2007 Iain Holmes
 * Based on xcompmgr - (c) 2003 Keith Packard
 *          xfwm4    - (c) 2005-2007 Olivier Fourdan
 */

> And although you think translucency is the only useful feature, I think
> window shadows are an essential addition also, as they provide some
> depth to the window layering.

No, translucency is the only essential feature for a compositor.
Things break if there is no translucency.
Nothing breaks if there's no drop shadows.
iain