Re: Low memory hacks

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 14:33 +0100, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> BTW being able to render Chinese just fine if a friend of mine happens
> to want to check a Chinese web site on my laptop sounds like a useful
> issue to me, even if I'm sacrificing 10MB of my harddisk for it.

You don't have to be Chinese; there is something wonderful about the
fact that when you accidentally land on a website that is in another
language you see Japanese or Hebrew or Cyrillic. We're smart enough to
figure it out from there, but it's a lot harder to make sense of thing
when all you see is page of four digit Unicode squares. That looks like
a bug; a language you can't read in a character set that is foreign to
you is going to look strange, but at least it is going to look like
language.

Anyone remember what 1997 was like? Yikes. Here's props going out to all
the people who have made the Linux, X, and the GNOME desktop a better
place because of their hard work on fonts and language support.

AfC
Singapore

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
review, and effective procedures for change management. We actively
carry out research and development in these areas on behalf of our
clients, and enable successful use of open source in their mission
critical enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London