Re: communication/information between forward-looking projects [was Re: Some info (Ref: GSOC 2008 advice)]

>  > > Natan, I'm curious if you have any ideas on how to encourage
>  > > communication between the various projects which are looking at
>  > > radical change (besides the obvious one of Writing Code, which you're
>  > > obviously trying to do.)
>  > >
>  > Let's start with a planet blog for all Desktop 2.0 related projects. We may
>  > want to even consider including KDE (and maybe even OS X and Windows)
>  > developers.
>  >
>  > I can set it up myself, if no one else feels like doing it.
>
>  I'd personally prefer to just get everyone involved onto an existing
>  planet, instead of fragmenting things more. If the problem is that
>  people are not feeling involved in GNOME then get them onto planet
>  gnome, not create another planet :)

I agree with Luis here, fragmentation is what caused these problems,
we need some way to consoladate both efforts and communication.
The blog post says how no-one is working together, but this may just
be a simple case of not being aware of the other projects. I certainly
had *never* heard of Screenlets until last night, and I thought I was
fairly up on gnome things, and if Natan is unaware of the gnome maiing
lists, it seems that there is a completely seperate gnome community
happening elsewhere and there is a lack of communication between them,
and that sucks big time.

Natan, I would suggest a good start would be to announce your software
on the gnome-announce mailing list so that people in the main
community know about it... Have you contacted anyone in the other
desktop2.0 projects to see if they are interested in your universal
applet idea?

iain (ignoring all the boring gnome3.0 shit)