Re: Low memory hacks

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 02:22:44AM +0000, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:

> >> Aren't mo files mapped to memory?
> >>

> > Yes, they're mapped. That doesn't result in actual memory usage. The
> > kernel will make sure they're only read into memory as needed.
> >
> Is there a tool that shows which pages are in memory and which are in swap?
> I do not know of such a tool, so I would expect the worst case scenario
> of all pages being in memory.

On Linux, exmap can tell you this. It gives two figures, "effective
resident" and "effective mapped". It counts each 4k page which is
loaded. You can see the .mo files which are mapped into memory, how
many pages are mapped, and which processes map the file. Unfortunately
the website has gone offline, and that is the only place I know which
has the documentation (have e-mailed the author about it). There are 2
user interfaces:

http://www.berthels.co.uk/exmap
http://projects.o-hand.com/exmap-console

For example, I have an Ubuntu 7.10 desktop with a few programs running
(a couple standard applets, nautilus, gimp, epiphany, gcalctool) and
LANG=pl_PL.UTF-8. exmap-console and gnumeric tell me the mapped memory
usage of all .mo files is 1584kb.

> The messages in a .mo file are in no specific order, so I would expect
> that within a page there should be at least a message an application
> requires at any time.
>
> The important part, however, is that when a translation is exactly the
> same with the original message, then this entry is not required to exist
> in the MO file; the running application can find the original message
> withing the application itself. By stripping the MO file of such
> messages, the file size reduces and most probably there is reduction in
> memory use (between 0 to .mo file size).
>
> Is this description clear? Do you think that the savings would be so
> minimal that one would not need to bother working on this?

Could be... what percentage of translations in en_GB do you think are
duplicates? Was it 86% (100% - 2MB/14MB) ?