Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

Am Dienstag, den 25.03.2008, 15:45 +0000 schrieb Alberto Ruiz:

> 2008/3/25, Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>:
> Hi Mathias,
>
>         Telepathy and Empathy look very promising, but Telepathy
>         doesn't support
>         buddy lists for IRC (and SIP) yet. Not having buddy lists for
>         IRC would
>         be a major regression for my use patterns of IRC.
>
> Do we have any official IRC support on GNOME? IMHO there shouldn't be
> an issue in having empathy for 2.24 and then have IRC support for
> 2.26. We don't have any IRC support among the current desktop suite,
> so I can't see why is this a regression.

Currently Pidgin, XChat and XChat-GNOME provide IRC UIs.
All those applications have buddy lists for IRC.

Those applications are not core packages of GNOME, but since GNOME
doesn't have its own IRC application so far, they are GNOME's current
solution for communicating over IRC. By choosing Empathy as official IRC
client for GNOME you explicitly deprecate the existing solutions.

Deprecating existing solutions, without providing all essential features
is a regression in my opinion.

People who use private messages to communicate with mates on
irc.gnome.org probably will find the Buddy feature of Pidgin
and XChat essential - I do.

From my experience people playing web based, massive multi player
online games use IRC for coordination still, and also highly depend
on buddy lists.

Ciao,
Mathias

--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/about/