Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

Am Dienstag, den 25.03.2008, 16:51 +0100 schrieb Xavier Claessens:
> Le mardi 25 mars 2008 à 16:30 +0100, Mathias Hasselmann a écrit :
> > Telepathy and Empathy look very promising, but Telepathy doesn't support
> > buddy lists for IRC (and SIP) yet. Not having buddy lists for IRC would
> > be a major regression for my use patterns of IRC.
> >
> > So personally I don't consider Empathy mature enough until Robert
> > McQueen has finished his work on IRC buddy lists.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Mathias
>
> It is really not an essential feature in my opinion. Empathy is planning
> to split chatrooms into a dedicated application looking like xchat-gnome
> but based on libempathy-gtk, it could be a cool SoC project... Even if
> it's not done for 2.24 that's something we can do later.

I don't see how chatrooms and IRC buddy lists are related to each other.
IRC is used as private communication protocol. Applications offering
private communication are quite useless, if they do not provide easy
access to frequent communication partners.

Yes, I'd like to see Telepathy in GNOME, but before that happens I want
to see it mature enough to replace existing applications like Pidgin.
Without buddy list support for IRC, it cannot replace Pidgin.

I definitely do not want to run and maintain two different IM
applications on my computer (implicitly Telepathy/Empathy due GNOME
desktop integration[1], and Pidgin for its limited, but still superior
IRC support).

Ciao,
Mathias

[1] A People menu in the panel would rock!
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/about/