Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

Hello Mathias,

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 15:18 +0100, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> This might sound childish on a first look, but makes a lot of sense:
> GNOME takes an exposed position in FOSS world. In that situation you
> really do not want to have any copyright violations in your platform
> libraries. So far Xavier did show to consider licensing issues
> important.

As far as I can tell, there are no copyright issues here. It was pointed
out that a few files lack proper attribution, which, of course, should
be corrected, but Empathy's code was derived from a GPLed project and is
still being published under the GPL. Doing such a fork is, as far as I
know, perfectly legal.

The issue, as I understand it, is that GPLed (as opposed to LGPLed)
libraries are being proposed for inclusion. It is also my understanding
that LGPLed libraries are OK for the Gnome desktop, which is how the
inclusion was originally proposed, but people seem to still have issues
with that.

Cheers,

M. S.