Re: new module proposal: brasero

2008/11/5 Luis Medinas <lmedinas gnome org>:

>> Don't get me wrong: I love to see people working on improving our CD
>> burning suite. But thinking of it as a standalone application, à la
>> Nero, is a regression.
>>
> Again... is any regression provide a standalone application that makes
> users do whatever they want when they want to burn a cd/dvd ?
> I feel that most of the people here don't actually use Brasero and don't
> know how can this application improve GNOME desktop overall.

To be honest, most people don't want features of Brasero, they need to
write files and sound. And it gets rarer and rarer. USB flash sticks
remove CD as main method of transporting files, music players remove
need to write audio CDs. So people actually enjoy basic CD/CD-RW
writing capabilities in OS X and Windows (provided by OS itself) and I
think it is no different in GNOME.

So far I don't get urgent need to get Brasero as part of GNOME. It is
excelent app, packaged for any major distros, works nicely. What GNOME
and Brasero benefits from inclusion, except feature creep?

This actually sounds a lot like PulseAudio scenario, which inclusion
in GNOME and distros still make lot of users to shake their heads in
despair.

Cheers,
Peter.