Re: libproxy as external dependency

Le jeudi 06 novembre 2008, à 07:59 -0500, Nathaniel McCallum a écrit :
> Vincent Untz wrote:
>> Le mardi 21 octobre 2008, à 10:30 -0400, Nathaniel McCallum a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose libproxy (LGPL 2.1+;
>>> http://code.google.com/p/libproxy/) as a blessed external dependency
>>> for  GNOME 2.26.  libproxy is currently used by vlc and neon and
>>> libsoup and  webkit are considering adopting it.
>>>

>> Looking at the code, you don't listen for changes to the gconf keys. If
>> I have an active connection through a proxy and I change my proxy
>> settings, shouldn't libproxy tell the app the proxy settings have
>> changed, so that it can restart the connection?
>>
> libproxy reads the configuration from gconf every time a new connection
> is established.  IMHO, it is a bad practice to tear down a working
> connection so that you can try to establish a new connection which
> *might* work (or might fail).  Best practice should be to keep all
> operational connections established and only use the new proxy settings
> for new connections.

What if the connection works in both cases, but the results are
different? I would guess it's up to the application to know if the
connection should be restarted.

An example for this (although this is a short-life connection) is that
you can directly access PDF of the ACM library via a proxy while you end
up on a webpage asking you to login if you don't use the proxy. I guess
there could be similar examples -- but maybe it's not that important,
don't know.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.