Re: libproxy as external dependency

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> What if the connection works in both cases, but the results are
> different? I would guess it's up to the application to know if the
> connection should be restarted.
>
> An example for this (although this is a short-life connection) is that
> you can directly access PDF of the ACM library via a proxy while you end
> up on a webpage asking you to login if you don't use the proxy. I guess
> there could be similar examples -- but maybe it's not that important,
> don't know.

But is it likely that the user remembers and manages to switch the
proxy *during* the download to save one click?

What if while trying to read that PDF you were 90% done downloading
another large file (say a DVD iso) that is equally accessible with or
without a proxy? Should it be restarted from scratch as there is no
guarantee as to data integrity in case of (range GET) resuming with
another proxy (a different cached copy comes to mind as a trivial
example)?

--
Patryk Zawadzki