Re: new module proposal: notification-daemon+libnotify

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 06 novembre 2008, à 10:57 -0500, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
>> I don't know how busy Christian is.
>>
>> But even if he is too busy to propose the module himself, I think it
>> is time for us to be honest about the fact that it is pretty much
>> impossible to use the desktop without notification-daemon nowadays.
>> Many components rely on the ability to notify users in this way and
>> are severely reduced in functionality if the notification service is
>> not available.
>>
>> Sure, the implementation may not be ideal, and in an ideal world, it
>> would not have its own little theming island and would maybe just be
>> part of the desktop shell,
>> but we don't live in that world (yet ?).
>
> I'm more worried about the fact that there has been no release since
> early 2007 (if I'm not mistaken), and so distro are currently shipping
> it with patches. Maybe we can just import the module in GNOME svn and
> fix stuff there?

There are other maintenance-related issues to bring up as well, like
the duplicated functionality in having both
notification-daemon+libnotify and libcanberra doing sound
notifications (tiny amount of code we could drop from the n-d
implementation, since it seems libcanberra is/will be better taken
care of, at least for now). Either way, it would be nice to at least
see the notification stuff imported into GNOME's tree, where more
people are likely to put eyes on it and be able to do things such as
roll releases, squash a couple of tiny leaks Ubuntu is shipping
patches for, etc. It would be a big step forward just to get that far.

-A. Walton