Re: DVCS

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 16:24 +0200, Zeeshan Ali Khattak wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>>   I remember that at GUADEC, we were seriously thinking about
>> migrating to git but the decision was postponed on Mark Shuttleworth's
>> request. It's been some months since that and we are still stuck with
>> SVN. AFAIK both git and bazaar have very strong supporters in our
>> community so the only way I see out of this is:
>>
>> 1. Get someone (known and trusted) to volunteer to set-up and maintain
>> the repository. I think Olav likes bazaar so he would volunteer for
>> that?
>> 2. Assuming that we get volunteers for both the repository types, we
>> simply vote amongst the top 50 contributers (i myself most probably
>> don't count :))
>
> I'm trying to understand exactly your proposal.  Are
> you proposing we have both a git server and a bzr
> server, each with a full import of all modules from
> svn?  And then developers can choose which one they
> develop with?
>
> Ooh, a numbered list!
>
> 1) What happens if multiple developers of a module
> each choose differently?  All right, maybe we can
> expect some level of communication and agreement
> amont co-maintainers.
>
> 2) What happens when we pick one?  Can we cleanly
> get everything off the losing server?
>
> 3) What are translators and documentation writers
> supposed to do?  Do we honestly expect them to look
> at the histories to decide which SCM to use for each
> module?  That sounds infeasible.
>
> 4) What metric we use for picking one is going to be
> the subject of much controversy.  Developer activity?
> Module activity?  Counted by number of developers?
> Number of commits?  Size of commits?
>
> Believe me, I desperately want to not be using svn
> anymore.  And if I thought we could feasibly work
> with a live-and-let-live, use-what-you-want setup,
> I'd be all over that.

I believe what he's saying is:
Find someone who's willing to take care of $VCS1, $VCS2.
If nobody shows up to support $VCS1, then we use $VCS2, visa versa.
If we have maintainers for both, we vote on one.

If we try to choose one on merit alone, we'll be at this in 2016, as
they've both got plenty of merit to be our choice as shown by rounds
of debate. As much as I'd hate to have to learn yet another VCS (if it
came to that), even I recognize that whichever we choose is better
than what we have.

-A. Walton