Re: Prototyping the next generation panel?

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 18:30 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2008, at 16:00, Vincent Untz wrote:
> >
> > Don't know if you read Owen's post, which talks about how this could
> > be
> > implemented:
> > http://blog.fishsoup.net/2008/10/22/implementing-the-next-gnome-shell/
> >
> > I guess we'll have stuff in a svn module as soon as there's proper
> > code
> > to show :-)
>
> Cart, meet horse...
>
> How about we start as we hopefully mean to go on, by usability testing
> mockups of some alternative shell/panel designs first, to figure out
> if we're heading off in roughly the right direction before we even
> think about committing anything to code?  (If those initial
> investigations have already been done, can we see the results
> somewhere?)

This is the direction I feel we need to go in too, HTML/JS (at Garrett's
suggestion) for widespread usability testing, knock together some
interaction testing code and publicise the tests BIG style...

Gather up data from humble users, performing a specific set of tasks
which are challenging enough and enough like real life to build up
decent data sets so we can tell what's wrong with it before we write
_real_ code.

BR,