Re: DVCS

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:04:01PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
[..]
> conclusion since that is exactly how it seemed like. However, that
> wasn't the point of my mail but to emphasize that it's been quite some
> time that most of us want to move away from SVN and it doesn't seem to
> be happening and the main reason is that we are divided on which VCS
> to move to.

I understood and agree.

> >> 2. I want to move a module from o-hand SVN to gnome SVN while keeping
> >> the history intact and seems the only way of achieving that is to wait
> >> on bkor to get to import the svn dump. Don't get me wrong, I am not
> >> saying bkor is taking very long but I have no way of knowing when
> >> would he get time to do it.
> >
> > If I'd enable property setting you could just do a svn sync. The reason
> > you can't is that I don't trust it. You could change svn:author etc for
> > any revision. I don't like it... such changes could be mailed and so on,
> > but I don't think people will notice. Meaning: affects security.
>
>   Thanks for the explanation but i am missing your point here?

With svn sync you could import a dump with history to GNOME yourself, if
I'd enable that.

> > correct
> > timestamps, etc.
>
>   Yikes! I didn't notice that one. :(

It can be reimported if you want.

>    About doing it through git myself rather than waiting for you to do
> it, I wouldn't have lost my patience if you had replied to my messages
> on IRC asking for a rough estimate on when could you get to do it. If
> i knew that i only need to wait for a few days, I would have waited
> but you not answering me made me think that you are way too busy to do
> it anytime soon.

I am fine that you used Git. Just pointing out that you need go through
a sysadmin not because of SVN, but more that allowing such activities is
IMO complicated (as you could change any repos). And that I want to
ensure that the usernames, paths etc are ok (e.g. if you'd load an svn
dump as-is, then if you have a user 'hp' that at one point added
exploitable code on purpose, when it is loaded into GNOME, it should be
clear that the 'hp' is not the same as the GNOME SVN hp).

Regarding not responding: I was a bit busy with other stuff (movie, DoS,
SVN repos format stuff, etc), so it didn't make sense responding if I
can't give an estimate. After that I forgot.

--
Regards,
Olav