Re: Window managers and their desktop files

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Dan Winship <danw gnome org> wrote:
>>    The basic format of the desktop entry file requires that there be a
>>    group header named Desktop Entry. There may be other groups present
>>    in the file... There should be nothing preceding [the Desktop Entry]
>>    group in the desktop entry file but possibly one or more comments.
>>
>> If there are apps that fail when a "Window Manager" group is present
>> after the "Desktop Entry" group, then those apps are broken.
>
> desktop-file-validate considers it broken...

Hm...

    metacity.desktop: error: file contains group "Window Manager", but
    groups extending the format should start with "X-"

Oh, it's not complaining that there's an additional group, it just
doesn't like the name. And sure enough, the spec does say that
non-standard groups "should" use [X-PRODUCT GROUPNAME], it's just in a
different part of the spec from where I was looking. My bad.

(But that means "[X-Window Manager]" would still be wrong though; it
should be "[X-GNOME Window Manager]".)

-- Dan