Re: GNOME and non-linux platforms (release team please stand up)

On 07/22/2009 02:21 PM, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Christian Fredrik Kalager
> Schaller<uraeus gnome org> wrote:
>> So I would like to ask the GNOME release team to please come forward
>> and clearly state that the future of GNOME is to be a linux desktop
>> system as opposed to a desktop system for any Unix-like system.
>
> I dont think anyone wants to do that

I do.

> I wonder how much effort it would cost us to instate
> a team responsible for tracking system specific bugs and then publishing
> these on a wiki page, pretty much the same way we have translation
> teams (a system could possibly only be "supported" when its blockers
> are closed ?, while work is done "supporting" that system ?)

I think l10n in GNOME is a great model for how portability (p9y?) could
work. Module maintainers are responsible for making their apps
translatable, but are not responsible for actually translating them.
Likewise, we could say that module maintainers are expected to make
their modules "portable" (eg, isolating Linux-specific bits behind
#ifdefs or abstractions or external dependencies), but would not be
responsible for any actual *porting*--that would be the responsibility
of the "porting team" for a given platform. And if a module didn't get
ported to a given platform in time for a given release, that would not
be the module maintainer's fault, and it wouldn't delay the release.

-- Dan