Re: Rawhide / Fedora rant

Ouch. Did it again. This was not supposed to go to this list. Sorry everyone :(.

behdad

On 06/23/2009 05:50 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
I'm sure this is nothing new for anyone here, but thought reminding
people why it's a pain to develop for Fedora may help. When I updated my
laptop couple days ago:

- Audio stopped working (again). Looks like kernel issue (again). Used
to work last week.

- X stopped starting. Removing xorg-x11-drv-ati helps, but then there's
artifacts on the screen, and I guess it also causes the next issue.
arlied says everything should be fixed now, but it's still not in rawhide.

- Firefox stopped starting. Crashes now with glibc detected buffer
overflow.

Some longer-term issues:

- Cannot import photos from my Canon Rebel XSi camera. gvfs-gdu-volume
segfaults. Used to work with F10.

- Cannot edit audio. Hard to find a version of audacity in Fedora or
RPMFusion that can open *any* file I want to edit.

- Cannot meaningfully edit video. Don't even say "Pitivi". So far
mencoder and vim have been the way to go.

Couldn't do more to get in the way of my "creative" activities.

Cheers,
behdad