Re: fast-forward only policy

Hi

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe contreras gmail com> wrote:
> [...] what is the point of having 'project' in the branch
> name? Branches are per-repository, so you would never have a non
> 'gtk-' branch in the GTK+ repo.

Not "project" but really "[project]-[MAJOR]-[MINOR]"..

> In fact, AFAIK at any given time GNOME projects have at most two lines
> of development. When GTK+ 2.17 is released, work on 2.16 is continued,
> but not on 2.15, so what is the point of keeping the 'gtk-2-15'
> branch? (or gtk-2-14) In reality you only have a 'master' and a
> sometimes a 'devel' branch.

You should read http://live.gnome.org/MaintainersCorner#branches

Stable branches are useful! Most projects have mostly stable branches, afaik.

> I would suggest a few official branch names like 'master' and 'devel',
> and a special two character prefix for personal branches like
> 'za-transcoding-rework' (Zeeshan Ali's personal branch), the rest
> would be up to the project to decide.

A bit like what Zeeshan proposes then.

regards,

--
Marc-André Lureau
Sent from Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland