Re: fast-forward only policy

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras wrote:
>
>> You don't need a branch to make commits, tag them and push them.
>
> The current workflow is well understood, works well for translators
> and other contributors, and is supported by all our tools (damned
> lies, jhbuild, pulse...).  I really don't see the point in changing
> it, especially when it adds some new commands contributors will have
> to learn.

That was just an example for a very unlikely situation. Do you really
think someone's ever going to make a release adding translations to
1.2.5? 1.2.4 was released 6 years ago.

Now, I'm not proposing to get rid of 'gnome-major-minor', now that I
realize it's a guideline I think it should be enforced for all the
repos. What I'm proposing is to drop 'project-major-minor'.

I think translators and other contributors would find it easier to
have a 'gnome-2.26' branch on all the repos, plus a 'stable' and
'master' branch, and not a 'pango-1-20' one.

After some years nobody would be working on the 'gnome-2.26', just
like nobody is working on 'gnome-2-0' now, so there's no harm in
dropping the branch. If somebody really wants to make a release for
that, the maintainer would still be able to do it, either by creating
a temporary local branch, or a temporary branch on the official repo,
if he doesn't know how, he can ask. That would be an exceptional
situation though.

--
Felipe Contreras