Re: On Ctrl+tab

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Calum Benson wrote:
> For gtk, we tried to strike the best balance we could between not throwing
> away peoples' prior keynav knowledge, ironing out their internal
> inconsistencies, and filling in the gaps as logically as we could for things
> that they missed or didn't exist in their platforms.

I really enjoy GNOME, and I hate to be mean.  And it has good points
(you can in fact, navigate the whole application).  But I can't help
but think it has a few glaringly bizarre flaws of its own.

GNOME focus navigation is at times almost infuriatingly crazy, with
many special cases and inconsistent behavior for different widget --
and even in the direction of focus!

(As an example:  shifting backwards/forwards, as in the case of a
ListView -- you can tab through the headers and the list data, but you
can't shift-tab back into the list - it skips the list and goes to the
headers, then you have to tab again to get back into the list).

I actually don't want to be seen as vitriolic, but this bothers me so much.