Re: Answering why gnome-shell might not work for me (was Re: What does gnome-shell give us?)

Le dimanche 04 octobre 2009 à 00:43 +0100, Dean Sas a écrit :
> Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > The real killer for me is the dynamic application menu (or list of
> > applications, or whatever it is called). I’ve always hated
> > gnome-main-menu, and I don’t think I will like this more. Having the
> > ordering of applications change is bad user interface; every time it
> > changes, it means more time to find the application you are looking for,
> > even though it might be right under your nose.
>
> How big a problem is this? My experience is that the menu doesn't really
> change that often once you've been using it a while and so you get used
> to the ordering.

This is only true if you always do the same things with your computer.
My experience is that every time you switch to a different use pattern,
the menu gets reorganized and you lose.

> > The plain 2-level menus in the current panel suck, but they have one
> > thing that dynamic systems don’t: reliability. Whatever application you
> > are looking for, you can find it in 2 clicks and 3 mouse movements, and
> > they are always the same.
>
> That reliability is still there, it's just four clicks away.

4 clicks is really a lot.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :