Re: Module proposal: dconf

2009/10/14 Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:
> On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 15:54 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Take 20,000 distro Gnome users, what percentage of them do you think have
>> ever hand edited their configuration, what percentage do you think have
>> ever used things like gconftool. For that matter what percentage of
>> normal users do you think even understand the question "Have you ever
>> hand edited your gconf database"
>
> No doubt.  But ask that same question of sysadmins, and
> you'll probably get a different answer.
>
> A better user experience trumps sysadmin concerns in my
> book, but I would like to see some discussion of what
> sorts of tools we'll be providing for administration.
> I'd hate for us to lose out on a large deployment for
> not being sysadmin-friendly.

Large deployments shouldn't mess with the local users' configuration.
Probably specialized backends for GSettings like an APOC or plain LDAP
one would be a much better approach to manage large deployments.

People messing with the users' configuration or the global system
configuration in large systems is rather a symptom of the lack of
proper tooling in that regard.