Re: Module proposal: dconf

Le mardi 13 octobre 2009 à 13:12 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
> Ryan is a bit sad to not get feedback on his proposal, so a bit more
> seriously: I think what we probably need is a migration plan. Should we
> move all the code from gconf to dconf in one cycle (if possible)? Should
> apps implement migration for the data in gconf? etc.

There are a few traps that would be nice to avoid during the migration
from GConf to GSettings:
      * keeping GConf as it is now - there are ~500 applications using
        GConf out there, not porting GConf means keeping it forever ;
      * having the user lose his settings and set up things again ;
      * having the developer of each application add migration code.

Therefore a possible, sane transition plan looks like the following.
     1. A new, source-compatible (if possible binary-compatible, but
        that’s less critical) GConf library is written on top of
        GSettings. All applications using GConf start using it
        together.
     2. A migration tool is written to convert GConf data to dconf
        data.
     3. This tool is used by distributors to make GConf schemas and
        system defaults available to dconf. (How it is done completely
        depends on the distribution.)
     4. The tool is launched once by gnome-session.
     5. An interface is provided so that an application can be ported
        from GConf to GSettings while still seeing the old data. To
        achieve that, either the data is not moved at all, or the API
        can specify an “old” location in GConf format as well as a “new”
        location in GSettings format.

I’m afraid other proposed solutions will either shift the work on
distributors (by keeping GConf without maintaining it), on users (by not
migrating settings) or on developers (by letting them convert data
themselves).

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette