Re: Module proposal: dconf

Hi!

OK, lets face on our problems again:

* We want to get rid of gconf for 3.0 because we want
API/ABI-compatibility over the whole 3.0 cycle which can be long. Gconf
is (more or less) unmaintained at the moment. If we keep it for 3.0
things would likely get worse.

* It is definitly important to keep the user settings over the
transition. So at least any setting that is mentioned in a schema file
has to be migrated (others are buggy, right?). I cannot say how to do
this but I think it is possible.

* We can only fix core-GNOME stuff. Of course 3rd party apps will still
require gconf sometimes and distros will have to keep it around anyway
(they even keep gtk+-1.2...)

I hope the dconf/GSettings guys will come up with some migration
strategy because the are likely the only ones that know about technical
details.

Regards,
Johannes