Fwd: New module proposal: nautilus-actions

Sorry for possible double posting, due to the use of a bad
sender address ;-(

----- Mail transféré -----
De: "Pierre Wieser" <pierre wieser fr>
À: "Andre Klapper" <ak-47 gmx net>, desktop-devel-list gnome org
Envoyé: Mardi 27 Octobre 2009 12:04:35 GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Berne / Rome / Stockholm / Vienne
Objet: Re: New module proposal: nautilus-actions

> Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:07:59 +0100
> From: Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: New module proposal: nautilus-actions
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 13.08.2009, 11:41 +0200 schrieb
> pwieser trychlos org:
> > I'd like to propose Nautilus-Actions as a new Gnome desktop module.
>
> The GNOME release-team will soon decide about module inclusions for
> GNOME 2.30.
>
> To the maintainers who have proposed a module or a new dependency:
> If there have been changes/improvements/fixes compared to when this
> module was proposed: Mention them.
> Also see http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/ModuleProposing again.
>
> andre
> --
>  mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed
>  http://www.iomc.de/  | http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper

Hi,
Some precisions and more informations about Nautilus-Actions...

Purpose:
Nautilus-Actions is an extension to the Nautilus file manager.
It implements the whole NautilusMenuProvider API, i.e. it is
able to define new menu items both in File and Edit menubar
popup, in with and without selection context menus, and in
Nautilus toolbar.

Content:
Nautilus-Actions release contains :
- the Nautilus extension itself, as a dynamically loadable
  library,
- the Nautilus Actions Configuration Tool, a user interface
  which let the user configure its own actions
- nautilus-actions-new, a command-line tool to create new
  actions
- nautilus-actions-schemas, a command-line tool to export
  action schemas.

Target:
Nautilus-Actions targets the Desktop module set.

Dependancies:
Nautilus-Actions uses GLib, Gtk+, GConf, libxml, libunique.
It doesn't require any new external dependancy.

Resources:
We use Gnome Git, ftp, Bugzilla for hosting sources, released
tarballs, bug reports.
Nautilus-Actions has for now its own website at
http://www.nautilus-actions.org which is mainly a redirection
to historical http://www.grumz.net. Also, we have a mailing
list at http://pwi.dyndns.biz/pipermail/nautilus-actions-dev.

Adoption:
The major Linux distributions already have Nautilus-Actions
(Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo).

Community:
One of the first tasks was to get ride of old dependancies
(libglade, GnomeVFS, etc.). Also accessibility was greatly
improved by providing mnemonics or accelerators to most of
NACT entry fields.
Bug reports opened against Gtk+ and Nautilus always have a
joined patch (though not yet applied in Nautilus case).
Last, I currently am working with Xfce Dolphin File
Manager maintainers in order to define a common action
format which would be compatible with Free Desktop
Specifications. This aims to be able to share actions
between desktops.

3.0 readyness:
OK.

Licence:
GPL v2 or later, with the NA icon being under CC.

Misc:
Since I've taken back the responsibility of the module :
- about half of opened bugs have been closed, most being
  actually fixed
- the user interface has been greatly improved both to
  provide a better user experience and to suit modern
  a10y standards
- perimeter of NA extension has been extended to fit the
  whole Nautilus API.

And, yes, the two last releases were produced in accordance
with Gnome plannings ;-)

Since the module was proposed for integration, enhancements
were :
- user may now define a whole hierarchy of menu, submenus, etc.
- actions may target any of menubar, context menu or toolbar
- full drag and drop implementation
- full clipboard support.
Not many bugfixes (because there is not many opened bugs ;-)).

Planned evolutions:
- implementing an undo manager in user interface
- writing user and development docs
- defining (test and write the doc) a backward
  compatibility matrix.

Last, could anyone update the maintainer name in
http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentynine/Desktop, please ?

Regards
Pierre