Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 23:13 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 19:38 -0400, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > this is all hypothetical. What matters is that people actually try it
> > out then make judgements based on whether the current tracker gives a
> > good experience. If people dont do this then the same arguments will be
> > made whenever tracker is proposed again regardless of how good or bad it
> > is
>
> Sure. This means you need to lobby the distributions to ensure that
> Tracker is installed by default. That's what a lot of people are saying
> here - you need to make sure people feel all warm and fuzzy before you
> can make them accept a non-optional dependency.

Whilst that is indeed one option it also is not necessary. It should not
be hard for more gnome devs to try it out now like they will do for most
of the other proposed apps that are not on be default in distros and
then make a judgement

> > The problem is that to leverage the full power of
> > tracker, you need much deeper integration and its not practical to make
> > it optional in those cases
>
> This is a very general and broad statement concerning the key element in
> this discussion. I think it would help your case if you expanded on why
> this is so and what power would be unleashed.

I already did so in reply to lennart a few months back - I will not
repeat myself and am sure you can find it yourself.

> > The way I see it is if Gnome wants to be in a position to challenge OS/X
> > and Windows 7 then it needs to make bold decisions. Playing it safe
> > means it will stagnate and Gnome will miss out on all the cool
> > technology.
>
> This is kinda hyperbole - not really useful. But, hey, did you know that
> monitor hotplug in GNOME almost works as well as in Windows 95 now? -
> That is, if your video driver works with your hardware ;-)

Its not hyperbole - if gnome is not going to modernise I have little
option but to create my own desktop to get a modern sleek desktop.

> (With apologies to the X hackers. The point here, really, is that we
> have the work cut out for us. Indexing/metadata is important but, uh,
> there's so much other work that needs to be done too.)

I do appreciate that some geeks are not interested in tracker but hey
Gnome is for the masses and search/metadata is so important especially
when they have it on the web. Not having it on the desktop makes Gnome
hopelessly outdated compared to modern offerings. I trust the release
team will bear this in mind

jamie