Sound system - user perspective

I spotted an area in which Gnome desktop can offer better user
experience.

Imagine I use VoIP (skype, empathy or anything like that) and some music
player (Banshee, Rhythmbox etc.). I listen to some music or a podcast
when someone ring.

I have to stop the music and answer the phone. However I guess that
music/podcast should actually be paused (i.e. state in application
should be stopped) instead of being just volume down.

I'm not sure if current architecture would allow such integration and
probably it would require changes to few packages (music player and
empathy at least) I prefer to post the idea here firstly.

Regards