Autostart programs made easy

Sorry for posting two posts one after another. I do so as they are on
different topics. If I should do it in one post - please just say so
I'll do it such way in future.

I always found adding new startup programs a bit tricky. I need to fill
several fields to create new .desktop file.

However most of the time what I really want is create an starup for
existing application. The only problems I see is:

1. Most of programs I'd like to see in minimised view (either minimized
or hidden in tray). I don't know how it is with gnome-shell but I just
don't want them on front view. It can be treated with gnome-shell or
wm/gs integration or parameters to application. In the last case it may
require some changes to .desktop format.

2. Probably the best would be softlinks to original .desktop files. In
case when such file is missing:
 - Search with similar naming (lower/upper case etc.)
 - Ask user what to do

Regards