Re: Module Proposal: GNOME Shell

Thanks for your answers.

Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi <at> gmail.com> writes:
> sorry, reply split in two - my allergies are making me less coherent
> today.
No problem, I will just split my answer!

> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 21:51 +0000, Michael wrote:
> with my Clutter maintainer hat firmly on: we are not interested in
> supporting a software backend in Clutter, and we're not targeting the
> Mesa software rasterizer. Clutter assumes you have basic hardware
> acceleration for the OpenGL 1.3 command set - which is a specification
> almost 10 years old. we have fallbacks in places, but mostly to cope
> with GL and GLES differences.
After posting that I realised that the renderer was probably the right place
for the sort of "fixes" I had in mind, not Clutter.  You say though that Clutter
will never target the software renderer.  Does this mean that you take
explicit action to prevent it, or just that the software renderer doesn't
implement everything you need?  I am strongly assuming the latter, but
asking just in case.  Any idea whether this will be different with llvmpipe
whenever it becomes usable?

Regards,

Michael