Re: GSettings and you

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:

> Is this the sane thing to do then?
>
> if (g_getenv ("GSETTINGS_BACKEND"))
>  settings = g_settings_new ("org.gnome.yelp");
> else {
>  g_settings_backend_setup_keyfile ("blah", filename);
>  settings = g_settings_new_with_context ("org.gnome.yelp", "blah");
> }

No. You are not expected to set GSETTINGS_BACKEND normally. GSettings
picks a default backend based on priorities.
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=gconf is just a hack to ease initial porting, until
dconf is here.

I don't think dconf is something to be afraid of or avoid for fear of
gnome dependencies. We had this with gconf, don't perpetuate this
stupidity by trying to avoid dconf before it is even here.

If people don't want to use yelp because it uses dconf, you probably
don't want them as users anyway...

Matthias