Re: Module Proposal: Zeitgeist

On 24 April 2010 11:18, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> No one ever said that we wont accept git branches. Anything submitted
>> as a patch or git branch will merge just as easy as any bzr-based
>> contribution. The only thing that may be more inconvenient is the
>> "hack directly in trunk"-workflow that is inherent to the monolithic
>> VCSs of old, but not so much of modern DVCSs.
>
> git is meant for using branches but not necessarily for creating a
> public branch when you fix a typo. People create patches against master
> in bugzilla usually even if we could use pull-requests possibly but this
> hasn't been used that. So making this inconvenient is breaking the
> workflow.

I indeed meant that bog standard patches would still be easy to handle
(if they are created against a recent git or bzr checkout). What I
mean with the "hack directly in trunk"-workflow is the typical CVS/SVN
workflow where the core devs do rapid change/commit cycles directly in
trunk.

>> But anyway, as you also point out (if I understand you correctly), if
>> ZG ends up as an external dependency it should stay external to the
>> Gnome infrastructure. And the fact also remains that Gnome is not the
>> only project that has interest in ZG since KDE and the mobile
>> community has shown interest as well.
>
> owen:
>
> "However, the external dependency mechanism is really meant to be there
> for something that is already out there, that already has a stable
> version that we can depend upon and that provides the features we need,
> and that has a development community and process that are going to run
> independent of GNOME. It's not meant for something that is being
> cooperatively developed in tandem with GNOME features."

I see. I may have been a bit preoccupied when I read it the first time :-)

--
Cheers,
Mikkel