Re: GNOME 3.0 in March 2011

[ Resurrecting this thread as I just got back from travelling ]

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 7:12 PM, John Stowers
<john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:

> Something like "If you wrote a python plugin for GEdit/Rhythmbox/Totem
> then you need to rewrite/fix it to use pygobject gobject-introspection
> if you want it to work on GNOME 2.32 and GNOME 3.0"?

I agree, it's a major issue.  One idea I'd like to float for Python
(more publicly) is for only allowing the following combinations:
Python 2 + GTK 2 + pygtk
Python 3 + GTK 3 + pygobject-introspection

At GUADEC I observed various people asking for different entries in
the 3x3 matrix, but really supporting all 9 combinations is just
insane.  Pushing Python-introspection back a cycle to when more OS
vendors are shipping Python 3 would give us more time to bring
introspection and pygobject-introspection forward which we do (at this
point) need.

(Part of this is an overdue introspection status report; I've been
working hard on a branch trying to move things forward, will post
soon)