Re: GNOME 3.0 in March 2011

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 23:51, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> [ Resurrecting this thread as I just got back from travelling ]
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 7:12 PM, John Stowers
> <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
>>
>> Something like "If you wrote a python plugin for GEdit/Rhythmbox/Totem
>> then you need to rewrite/fix it to use pygobject gobject-introspection
>> if you want it to work on GNOME 2.32 and GNOME 3.0"?
>
> I agree, it's a major issue.  One idea I'd like to float for Python
> (more publicly) is for only allowing the following combinations:
> Python 2 + GTK 2 + pygtk
> Python 3 + GTK 3 + pygobject-introspection
>
> At GUADEC I observed various people asking for different entries in
> the 3x3 matrix, but really supporting all 9 combinations is just
> insane.  Pushing Python-introspection back a cycle to when more OS
> vendors are shipping Python 3 would give us more time to bring
> introspection and pygobject-introspection forward which we do (at this
> point) need.

I'm a bit concerned about the port to python3+gtk3+introspection being
a bit too big of a stretch. Python developers traditionally are a bit
less "dauntless" than other developer communities and many will be put
off by having to build part of the stack while their distros of choice
don't ship them.

This could mean that in 8 months from now distros would start shipping
Python 3 and Gtk 3 and only then apps would start to be ported. But
then, distros wouldn't want to make Python 3 and Gtk 3 the default as
apps wouldn't have been ported yet, catch 22.

Alternatively, if distros were able to support the combination
Python2+Gtk2+PyGObjectWithIntrospection in the next release, most
people could start porting to introspection during the next cycle,
then porting to Python 3+Gtk 3 in the next one.

> (Part of this is an overdue introspection status report; I've been
> working hard on a branch trying to move things forward, will post
> soon)

The "only" issue with this plan is that gobject-introspection and
pygobject-introspection might not be ready for this cycle, which
brings us to your upcoming status report.

Regards,

Tomeu