Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

Hi Jon,

On 12/24/2010 12:32 AM, William Jon McCann wrote:
It is important to note that there is no such "classic mode".  There
is a fallback mode for when 3D support is not available.

Do you have any figures on what percentage of Linux users will have the 3D capabilities necessary? Just wondering.

Here in the office & at home, I have 6 computers running GNOME, and of those 6, I believe only 2 support accelerated 3D to an acceptable level.

The 5 computers are:
 * Mac Mini PPC, running a quite old Ubuntu (no 3D)
* Samsung NC20 (Integrated on board Via graphics chip - no 3D - got this to run Moblin, didn't work, currently running Ubuntu 9.10) * Dell Latitude D420 (Intel graphics, should work, but 3D stuff runs really slowly, currently running Ubuntu 9.10)
 * Dell Optiplex 360 (ATI chip, no 3D)
* Dell Latitude E6500 (Intel chip again, 3D works fine, running Ubuntu 10.04)
 * Lenovo Ideapad, running MeeGo 1.1 (3D fine)

I would like to be able to upgrade a distro some time in the next few years on at least some of these (the Mac Mini & D420 are close to retirement, but the Optiplex will live on, as will the netbooks), and I would like to be sure that the desktop of my choice will provide a reasonable level of functionality.

When you say "there is no classic mode, only fallback", what I hear is "fallback will be hobbled, but that's OK". Do I understand your position correctly?

People who don't desire such changes are not obligated to make them.

I'm all for change, but too far too fast just means you lose your feathers and plunge to your death in the Aegean sea.

I ask about figures because if only 40% of our current users (the ones already passionate about GNOME) will be able to actually use GNOME 3, that is a PR disaster waiting to happen, and we need to be aware of it. Having a feature complete fallback seems like a good way to do that. Alternatively, perhaps we should be working with XFCE to make that our fallback, if we don't have the resources?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary