Re: Minimum system requirements for GNOME Shell

Le samedi 25 décembre 2010 à 11:33 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi a écrit :
> > On a related but different side of affairs, good luck getting GNOME
> > Shell to work on a thin client, as well. As soon as you have a bit of
> > network latency, AIGLX is not usable, and other solutions like VirtualGL
> > are merely insecure hacks to cope with the absence of accelerated
> > offscreen rendering support on Linux.
>
> I do wonder how Dave manages to work with Compiz on thin clients, then.

I wonder that too - I have to assume that the server is on a LAN, not a
WAN. Our experiments showed that the latter is not possible currently.

> in any case, for those set-ups the rule of upgrading with the *next*
> stable release of a long-term support distribution holds.

Definitely. And I am here to wonder what this next stable release will
look like :)

> we don't need to cover the entirety of use case scenarios right out of
> the door of GNOME 3.0: it would be a recipe for disaster and for
> indefinite delay.

No one is saying you have to. I am just pointing out that it is
incorrect to say that it works for all (or even for most) of user
setups. The basis for this thread was to list the setups where it should
work.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :