Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

Le mercredi 29 décembre 2010 à 15:22 -0500, William Jon McCann a
écrit :
> That simple JS based fallback panel/menubar idea is sounding better
> and better... anyone want to give it a shot?

This would be completely useless. Who would use that?

People are not attached to the panel just because they don’t like change
(although that’s certainly part of the picture). They are also attached
to it because it is good. You cannot just ship a third-class application
and hope that people will start using it just because the shell doesn’t
work well on their hardware.

For example, I cannot personally consider the shell as usable as long as
it features those unusable two-dimensional iPhone menus - not counting
the fact I don’t own hardware that can run it. The panel’s menu is
simply better thought.

In the first years of existence of the shell, you can expect the
“classic” panel+metacity experience to gather more users than, say, LXDE
- it will probably be more comparable to Xfce in terms of popularity.

Just because it is popular (and for good reasons), you can expect
several distributions to keep on shipping the panel as long as
technically feasible with their resources. Not as a fallback or a
stripped down session, but as a full-fledged alternative to the GNOME 3
shell, that you can choose from GDM once installed.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :