Re: application indicators

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Jorge O. Castro <jorge ubuntu com> wrote:

> We have put together a design guide for application authors here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomStatusMenuDesignGuidelines
> Feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, yes this is useful.

>> * It'd be really nice to get some discussion of how this fits in with
>> the design plans for GNOME Shell (note that in GNOME 2 if applications
>> use this, you have potentially *3* representations of an application
>> in the top panel, this is something we can obviously improve in GNOME
>
> Let's start this discussion now then!

I'll defer to Jon or Jeremy on this, but it seems to me we could put
this in the top application menu, assuming it's not used for
notifications.

>> 3).
>> * On a technical level, this really makes more sense in GTK+.
>
> Ted talked about this here:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2010-January/msg00042.html
>
> Now that module proposals are open we'll likely propose it as an
> external dependency next week (we're in a feature freeze crunch this
> week). Currently we're working on some patches for applications and
> should have more of them in an upstreamable state after this week
> after we get more testing and reviews on the work.

But, do we agree that it makes sense for this to be in GTK+ (at least
under #ifdef X11)?  Ted seemed to say "maybe".    If we agree roughly
on that, then do we want a cycle where we port a bunch of apps and
components to use libappindicator, only to change it again when it
moves in GTK+?